2'x2' mixed media on 13/4" panel
PRIVATE COLLECTION (me)
FINALLY I had time to sit down and finish my bee painting for over my couch...when we move to a place where wall space is actually above my couch...You can see I added papers, painted the bee with acrylic and played with my stylized wings until I was happy with them. I wanted them to be transparent like wings are...so I sketched them in with several colors of paint and then applied a light wash of the blue over the area to give them that almost transparent look.
I think it will add just the amount of contemporary to my very traditional couch with not so traditional pillow fabric...I can still work in blues or warm colors for my "new" living room when we move, so I'm happy with that. I think I'll paint the cradle sides black which will be in keeping with a contemporary look.
You can see how I've applied stamping to the dark areas of the bee body to give a bit of implied texture and the slight wash over the wings to give them the look I was going for.
You may have to click on this pic to see the word BEE I've added above my queen bee...I started with cut out letters in newspaper and then worked to sand and paint over and other things to bring them back down where they are a mere hint of a word rather than the glaring word that would have competed with the subject matter...I rather like it...and since it is for me...knowing how I like adding words to some of my work it satisfied my taste.
I have to say it is a little harder working to create something that is for me...I played and practiced a lot...probably because I wasn't on a deadline...and I enjoy experimenting so much.
I am happy with the end result, HOWEVER...as we all know (if we are artists)...if something hangs in our home it is always subject to being pulled off the wall to add or take away as we get a whim...that is a joy!