Monday, November 14, 2011

"COLORADO COLOR" ORIGINAL MIXED MEDIA PAINTING OF ASPEN © SAUNDRA LANE GALLOWAY

"Colorado Color"
10x13"  16x20" matted and framed
$250 includes shipping in US
ON HOLD FOR A SHOW

This was a new experience for me.  It may look a lot like my signature aspen, but it was done specifically to enter into the Colorado Watercolor State Show that will be in March at the Foothills Art Center in Golden, CO.  I don't usually like to paint FOR a show, but I was intrigued to see how I could adapt my work to paper.  They have very strict rules as to how you work...it has to be ON PAPER.  Any collage materials have to be PAINTED by the artist...no store bought paper for this show...and it has to be under PLEXIGLASS.  WHEW... SO, I started out painting on a 140lb piece of watercolor paper with acrylics...
THAT was pretty ok...although the paper buckled a lot so I had to keep ironing it flat so I could work...After that I took several types of paper and painted and stamped on them and then tore them up to add to my piece...After which I added three aspen (remember I did all this yesterday as I've been gone...so the fewer aspen the better)...which I ended up finding just right as I enjoyed the abstract background I'd created using my handpainted papers...and, the end result under glass and matted and framed was this...
After it is all said and done, I'm not sure I enjoy painting my own papers...It might have been my strict deadline...but, I more think I enjoy the art of choosing papers from the stores and seeing how they fit my vision...it is part of the creative process for me...but that is just one artists opinion!  I hope to sway the board of CWS that one day they accept more work done on different substrates for more of their shows...we don't want to have our creativity stifled now do we?? hmmm...?  :)  I won't even know if I was accepted for a month or so...but, at least it is DONE...YEA!  

My next projects will be for my family, as I do every year...this year I'm going to try my hand at painting my little grandson.  This will be a challenge as all the photos I have of him were taken inside with no interesting shadows from sunlight...but...we work with what we have...:)  I'll post things as I get them done...and encourage my family NOT to read my blog for a bit so they won't see what MAY be their Christmas present! HA...We will see how that goes!!  

HAPPY CREATING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous depth to this piece, Saundra, and a beautiful palette. I think that painting your own papers worked like a charm and I wouldn't have known had you not spilled the beans in this post! LOL Truly gorgeous under glass and in a frame.

Can't wait to see Paxton's portrait! How fabulous that will be!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Thank you as always Sherry...I hope I am able to get him JUST RIGHT! lol

Islandbutterfly316 said...

Is this art piece still available for purchase?

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...