Thursday, November 3, 2011

EXPERIMENTS, EXPERIMENTS...NOT A WASTE OF TIME!!

I'm never sorry I experiment...it's the path to discovery, and is what got me the style I currently work in...but, sometimes we get negative results...I've decided to show you the negative results...and some that I feel will work eventually.  As I discussed yesterday I was playing with an idea as to how to get the veins to show up in my aspen leaf paper casts without painting them after the fact.  These first three are different glues...It was my hope that there would be enough of a bump to make veins...The material I've decided to use is the screen from Arnold Grummer that I actually pour my molds on to.  I had a little extra, so cut it up...Here is the result of the first three experiments...
Yep...not what I was looking for...You may have to click on the photo to see the results more clearly.  The Elmers stuck to the cast even though it was dry when I poured...ps...this is a reminder of what the cast looks like in the mold...

The Beacon's craft glue ALMOST worked, but too spotty of a result to count on it consistently.  And, the "OK to wash it" fabric glue just soaked into the material (now that I think about it...duh) and there were almost no lines at all...SO...not to be discouraged I tried something different...
WIRE!...Yes, I took my jewelry making wire from those spools and actually sewed it on to the mesh screen...I wondered if the threads would show...here are the results from that experiment though I layed the wrong example in front of the wrong heading...24 gauge is smaller wire...just remember the bigger the number the smaller the wire...sorry...OH, and I spelled gauge wrong...sorry...when I'm experimenting I tend to overlook some things...bad...
This is really 20 gauge...the bigger wire...see how you can see the thread even! WHEW...gotta be careful...and...it MAY be a little large for veins...
  This is really the smaller wire...the 24 gauge...Turned out pretty decent, but I really need to be careful where I place the mold over this to get my veins right...might be my favorite...

SO that was the aspen experiment...It occurred to me that some of you may not know what Cotton Linters are...I order mine from Arnold Grummer on line...Michael's used to carry it, but they stopped due to lack of sales.
I LOVE this stuff...it comes in flat squares and bags like this...I like em all!

And, I wanted to show you an example of my acorn with it's top texture that you will remember is the drippage off of my friends epoxy pours...
If you look closely you can see it poking out from under the acorn I poured...It has to be squeezed under a screen, dry and then I can peel off the top texture...You are looking at the back.

AND...I just couldn't resist putting some color into this blog as most is pretty weak...My latest pic of my little Paxton...grandson...Ain't he cute!!
HAPPY CREATING!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look how big he is getting! So adorable!! Do you get to go see him again soon or will the kids come out to visit you? Hoping for the soon coming Thanksgiving holiday!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

I actually am trying to get out there next week! YEA!

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...