Friday, October 25, 2013

"DIMPLES" AN OSTRICH IS AN ORIGINAL OIL ON TEXTURED CRADLED PANEL © SAUNDRA LANE GALLOWAY and a CAUTIONARY TALE TO TELL!

4"x4" oil on textured 3/4" cradled panel
$40 +5.50 shipping and handling in the US
 
"Dimples" has quite a sunny personality; although you may not see it at first.  Her dimples imply the happy girl underneath all that bravado!  But, regardless, look at those beautiful eyes she has!  Dimples is painted on a textured cradled panel that has black painted sides.  She is perfect to hang as is in that spot where you can see her and smile, or sit on a shelf or an easel.  She can even be framed!  "Dimples" is traveling to my gallery in Conifer, but if you don't live near enough to visit Luna's Mandala in person, just let me know and I'll gather her up and ship her to you!
 
My grandson, Paxton and his parents went to the Pumpkin Patch over the weekend...I'm grateful to my lovely daughter, who is an incredible photographer and shares all the photos...It helps so much to be able to see events in this way when I cannot be there!  I think Paxton found a pumpkin!
 
I think Paxton and mommy had FUN!!
checkin out the goats...he wasn't too sure at first...it's probably in his genes...his momma was terrified of them! lol
I think daddy loves his boy too!  Just look at that precious face! Who wouldn't love him!! tee hee...
 
 
NOW, I have a cautionary tale to tell so that you can be armed in case you ever encounter this...As you have probably read, I recently added a third gallery.  This one was in Wheat Ridge, CO.  Things seemed to be going fine; I'd already sold a piece in fact...AND THEN, one day I sold a painting independently through my website, so I contacted the owner and asked if I could come get it and replace it with another.  All was fine, I went to pick it up and noticed that some paintings seemed to be a higher price than I had set, but wasn't positive.  I picked up the sold painting, and grabbed the card that was on the wall with it to clean off the space.  On the way home I glanced at the card and noticed the price was marked quite a bit higher than the sales price listed on the back of the painting and on my website!  This was upsetting!  I had the distinct impression that they were trying to get MORE money than the commission we'd set in the contract!  I contacted them and told them this was NOT ACCEPTABLE and I would be by in the morning to take my work out.  The REASON I acted so quickly is that I was never made aware of their price gouging (the way I see it), I felt they were taking advantage, it wasn't ethical practice; people would see the different prices and it would make me look dishonest, and they had destroyed trust!  That last one is huge...if you can't trust the gallery in which you entrust your work, there IS NO BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP that will work anymore!  I encourage those of you who are in a gallery to check in from time to time...keep that business relationship healthy...they need to hear from you and you need to check in with them! 
 
I am very happy with my decision...my reputation remains in tact, my work is back with me and available to do with what I please, and my collectors will know they have an honest person to work with!! (I guess that's just restating point one, but it is important!)
 
HAPPY CREATING!!
 
 




4 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Well, as you might imagine, I LOVE Dimples--how can you not know the "sunny" disposition of those ostriches????

I am sorry you had that experience with the gallery, but I appreciate your sharing it so others can watch out. I think you acted appropriately, too.

Onward and upward, right?

And Paxton--what a cutie!

Debbie Nolan said...

Saundra - Dimples is too cute. Love the texture you captured in his face and all the lines in his neck as well. Made me smile. Your grandson made me smile too. Looks like he found a pumpkin that fits him! Thanks too for sharing.

Autumn Leaves said...

For the first time, I found myself wondering if an ostrich could grow to trust and love you as many birds will do. Interesting thought. Dimples is beautiful! I love seeing Paxton pics and my favorite is that last one with daddy a bit blurred in the background. So sorry to hear of your gallery experience!!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Thank you girls...I'm almost sure that ostriches have hidden sunny dispositions Elizabeth! I don't think I will tire of painting them Debbie...they are fun! As always, thank you for your positive comments CrimsonLeaves!

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...