Thursday, October 10, 2013

"THE WHITE BARN" FIRST IN A SERIES OF MIXED MEDIA LONG SKINNIES © SAUNDRA LANE GALLOWAY

"The White Barn"
36"x12"
Mixed Media on cradled Panel
Private Collection
 
A bit of new for me...no trees, no rocks...just barn and field with my papers added.  The idea for this painting came from a painting I saw not long ago in my husband's dental office...there were planes described with metals or color or something that made me decide to add texture in a very linear way.  The two sections under the barn have texture added with a modeling paste type material and painted in different colors to divide the space in an interesting way.  My intent was to create a simple barn on a simple plane.  From there came the color and visual texture with paper and stamps.
 
Since I painted it for a spot in my home, I added star stamps to compliment the star doors that it will hang next to as well as remind me of my Texas mom!  Note the bits of sky color I added in the foreground to bring a bit of unity.  The foreground is a multi layer bit of dry brush over color washes to bring some depth, and papers added for visual texture and interest.

I enjoyed painting this...The change for me was to think of the sky as merely a space that I wanted to bring added interest to.  I added papers; not to mimic clouds, but as a nod to the whimsical.  It makes me think of early drawings we did as children where we made visual lines to depict sky.  I am so happy with this first effort I think it will be a first in a series...FUN DOINS!

HAPPY CREATING!!

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I have to admit that this is one of my favorites, Saundra. The simplicity of the composition, the textures and colors...just come together beautifully!!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

I'm liking it CrimsonLeaves, but fighting the urge to add a tree! HA

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...