Sunday, January 25, 2009

Take time for Value


While I am waiting for my new Nikon P-80 camera to arrive so my pictures will hopefully be a bit better I was thinking about a recent painting I completed that I already have in my photos on my computer. It was for a black/white and one color show I was in a couple of months ago. This little bear was an excellent way for me to practice what I believe is one of the most important elements, which is value. It doesn't matter what color I would have made this little guy, as long as my values were accurate...so this is just a little reminder that it is a great exercise to put away those wonderful colors now and then and do a value study...I framed him in a black frame and he looks good in that home, so he is ready for selling. I mixed my black; always mix my blacks...on this one I used Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber. So, check yourself...try one! To further check myself sometimes after I do a value study I make a black and white copy of the photo if I used one...it is fun to see how close I came.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Saundra, I love the teddy bear, the black and white gives it an antique feel, like an old photograph. Have you ever laid in glazes over a black and white value study? I've always wanted to try that, but have not.
happy painting!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Jean, As a matter of fact I have laid glazes over some...for just the very reason you mentioned...it gave it even more of an antique feel! Thanks! HP right back to you!

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...