Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Blackbird" completed © Saundra Lane Galloway

 "Blackbird"
6x6 acrylic wax collage with paper cast blackbird

I was able to finish "Blackbird" last night.  I had first thought I'd add some sunflowers to this piece, but in the end felt it would be a bit confusing with the blackbird paper cast made from newspaper being the star of the show!  I love making these molds for my pieces, and this one is a favorite!  If you look closely you can see the black bead I included for his eye...and a bit of the written word! 

As I was putting this together I kept thinking of that Beatles song titled..."Blackbird" and it just stuck.  I enjoy adding words to these EYE CANDY pieces as it adds to the emotion I want to express.  There is a partial phrase in the song that goes..."...learn to fly" So, I added that in as well as a bit of a tribute to the song.

I think I've said that when I was a baby, my mother was just a kid herself at 19, so instead of all baby lullaby's she would sing Beatles and Elvis songs to me...so you can see why the Beatles hold a special place for me!

The saga of the subbing goes on...today I was very loudly reminded that I wasn't the regular teacher and I was a liar...L O N G story behind his outburst...but suffice it to say he didn't like being asked to work today...Apparently the "other" teacher always let him do whatever he wanted...according to him...yea...right! lol  But, it is tiring to try to motivate and inspire kids who would really rather I do it all FOR them, and just let them sit and eat and text and talk...tee hee...Yep...looking forward to May 7!  So, as I left this morning, not really all that excited...I saw this beautiful sunrise...It gave me the gumption to get myself to school and I even managed a smile and a skip in my step!!

I would be remiss if I didn't say there ARE those kids who want to learn, and that makes it more worth it!  A young lady came up to me yesterday and asked if she came in on her off period would I teach her to paint aspen...RIGHT UP MY ALLEY...and, if you had any doubt...just let me say we had our first lesson today! YIPPEE!!

So...onward I go...tomorrow, perhaps I can show what I painted as I taught her...it will look familiar to some of you...:)

HAPPY CREATING...and REMEMBER our April painting challenge!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the finish product! it's great..and I agree, for this piece maybe the sunflower would have fought with the background...

i did not finish my 'leafy' sketch...but posted about my children's book instead....

that sunset would most likely have put a bounce in my step too!

great shot!

ciao bella
have a great night!
creative carmelina was here!

Autumn Leaves said...

I have to admit that when I was subbing there WERE those kids that made it so worthwhile. (Obviously, not enough of 'em, considering I quit subbing after only one semester! LOL)

I LOVE your blackbird piece, Saundra. And yes...I am still trying to figure out my paper cast piece. The only thing that has worked well so far are the casts themselves! I'm having a dickens of a time with my background.

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Thanks Carmelina...glad my pic have you a smile!!

Autumn Leaves...Yep, I'm now counting the days! WHEW...I know the casts will work...remember it took me a year of experimenting before I found something that worked for me!! HANG IN THERE!!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Pepe444...THANK YOU!

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...