Monday, August 3, 2009

York

I could definately live here today...proof that York has a Starbucks!

Yep I went here...

Something I learned is a Nebraska thing...

A prayer chapel that used to sit on some land a few miles from the college...I have an old shelf from what used to be a dilapidated old building. Through donations it now sits on the campus and is absolutely beautifully restored.

So...we left York this morning for Omaha to spend some time with my daughter and hubby and my parents who just happen to be passing through on their way to California.

When I was in my early 30's I was a single mom living in Denver working as a secretary for a place called Jewish Family Services. The bosses son used to pitch pennies down my blouses. I hated that job, but didn't have my degree.

My daughter was going to a school that was mostly hispanic. She asked me one day for an english/spanish dictionary as they wouldn't speak english around her. Broke my heart. First I'd heard of it. She was in elementary school.

My son was in middle school. He was shot at one day when taking out the trash by our neighbor who was an ex Vietnam Vet. He came home from school one day and like a laundry list was telling me about his day...among the things on that list was "Matt hung himself"...tucked between what he ate for lunch and what his homework was. THAT broke my heart also...

The next weekend I drove to York Nebraska, asked everyone in town if there was a house for rent...enrolled in York College and we moved the next weekend. Best years I spent with my kids EVER! The college was small and the kids were in private school across the street...when they got out they walked to the student center at York and all the kids bought them snacks and such until mom got out of class...then we all went home to do our homework. I worked two part time jobs there while taking a full load, but I still remember it as the best!!

Oops my husband is calling for us to go...so, sorry...off to our hotel...More tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Saundra, I am loving your memories. I went back to school at the age of 35 (almost 36) to get my bachelors...I worked full time in security for a retail store and had a boss who let me work both around my schooling and around my kids. There were times my daughters sat in the student lounge near my classrooms and I came in and helped with homework on my class breaks. It was a pretty rough 3 1/2 years, but also some of my best memories as well. My girls also attended private school (thanks to a wonderful school secretary who used her tithe to pay tuition for one of my daughters, lessening the costs for me). I supplemented my income by coaching volleyball, basketball, and baseball for their middle school girls. A time I will never regret, nor ever forget. Beautiful old church!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Autumn Leaves!! Wow, we have a small parallel life thing going on don't we! Glad you are enjoying my ride to Nebraska. When I travel to see family or friends I usually don't have moments to paint...so I paint pictures in the mind! :) And show photos along the way...I think I enjoy it most of all!! Have a great day!

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...