Monday, March 8, 2010

Some words about paper casts

 
Paper Cast Leaf Collection
1 aspen (apx. 6 1/2"x5 1/4") , 1 maple (9 1/4" x 7 1/2"), and 1 oak leaf (apx 5"x9")

Thickness ranges from apx. 1/16" to apx. 1/4"
I am FINALLY ready to begin adding some paper casts to my ETSY shop!  Today leaves, tomorrow hearts...and then...birds, sunflowers, dresses, and more...I'm in process of making molds!
                                                                                            
Before I add these casts to my ETSY shop I want to talk about them a little.  They are made from cotton linters...they are delicate, yet strong enough to paint on, collage on, add to wax collage and who knows what else!  I am going to coat the top of these casts with gesso so they will be ready for any of the above applications...and whatever else you may come up with!

 It is important to note that these are a paper type product, so they must be treated with care.  You can't spill water on them or they may disintegrate in places...you can't bend them or they may break, you can't throw them around...they are strong enough to add to, but not to man handle! :) I've also included a photo of the backside of the casts.  Note the extra texture...this will vary depending on how it dried.  If it air dries it seems to have some peaks and valleys, but you can still glue your cast to a support just fine.  If I flatten them a bit they may have a screen imprint...THE FUN IS IN THE ORGANIC NATURE!!
                                                                                                                       
I decided to prepare these for sale as the teacher in me LOVES to give someone a new toy to play with...If anyone purchases these casts I would LOVE to see what you do with them...Just e-mail me your finished product at art4life44@hotmail.com with the works PAPER CAST in the subject line!!  Who knows...perhaps there will be a contest give-away if we get enough people willing to try them!!


Aspen Cast Collage on blue...
I worked up a collage on this aspen cast today just to see how strong my 1/16" casts end up being, and you can see it held up well!  I've also embedded things like this oak leaf in my oak cast...Not sure how I will add to or present these framed yet...but that is the FUN of this new medium!  Or at least this new type of support!

A foggy day today...just perfect for creating...!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanna try one! it looks like fun! and i love that they are delicate...it makes them that much more precious!!!

ciao bella

Autumn Leaves said...

I LOVE these, Saundra! I'm going to check out your etsy shop today when I finish reading blogs!

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Glad you girls like the idea of them...IF you try them...shoot me a picture of what you did!! I'd LOVE IT!!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Great post, Saundra! I love the little aspen painting on one of the paper casts. What will you come up with next???

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Woo Hoo...I'm already working on new stuff!! I hope my brain doesn't shut down!! :)

© Saundra Lane Fine Art

All rights reserved. All work created is protected under copyright law and must not be reproduced without express permission of Saundra Lane Galloway

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS

READ MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES ON CREATIVE TOPICS
follow the link and click subscribe if you want to receive my articles as they are published

A SIGNATURE MEMBER OF COLORADO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...